Sunday, November 4, 2007

Los Angeles Win Tickets to the Hold Steady at the Fonda, Nov. 7th

don't have the adequate words to express how much I love the Hold Steady.
When I first heard them, and Craig Finn's vocals, I didn't like them. This guy can't sing, I thought. What the hell is this? And then the piano yoked me in, and the violins and textured guitars that swell under the choruses or bell out into lush, epic finales (ref. "Killer Parties") , and...the words. Those words! They're koans, they're the pure beauty of simple, straightforward poetry. Henry Miller, Hemingway...Finn. As Emily Dickinson said, "For writers, a success prescription / fewer words, more description."

And so I will do that here: keep it short & sweet. We have a couple pairs of tickets to give away. Email me telling me what your favorite song of theirs is, and why, and the first responders will get a plus-one to the show. Oh, and Art Brut opens for them as well. w00t!

The contest runs until Sunday. I'll then pick two winners.

No comments: